We recently received an email from old boy Peter Clapcott which raises some frustrations he has with our Foundation web site. The email content is below.
Happy New Year to all
Peter raises some valid points that require some response or explanation.
The Trust was a body put in place to work towards the goals it set and create a focus for the Old Boys of FDMC. Since it's inception there has been little activity on the part of the Trustees and very little input from old boys by way of ideas or financial support. It was not the intention of the Foundation to begin a large scale appeal process but rather to create a structure that we could go forward with and see what happened later.
The FDMC Foundation web site and blog is the work of one person - Martin Dravitzki. It began as a blog in the lead up to the 50th Jubilee and then became a full web site with the creation of the Foundation. I am not a Trustee of the Foundation, nor do I receive (or want) any remuneration for my work with the site.
The task of building a web site is not that hard, what does require a lot of effort is maintaing a steady stream of new content. This is very difficult if people are happy to read but not contribute information. What this has meant is that the shell of the site has remained as Peter suggests fairly static with my energies going into the keeping the blog active and current.
In response to some of Peter's specifics.
* the list of registered old boys will be updated very soon
* Br Declan is the person maintaining the register of old boys who have passed away but he needs to be given that information
* the forum was a trial to see if it would of use to old boys but given that there have been 6 people use it in 3 years it will likely be removed
* the Trust will meet within the next month to re evaluate where things are and look to come up with some initiatives - this would be much easier if old boys would contribute some ideas!
* Peter's point about no one visiting something that is not current doesn't quite stack up given that we have had over 90 000 page views in the last year and our daily visitor numbers range from a low of 80 to over 300.
I know you are out there you just need to be motivated to be more involved!
An Old Boy's Card
Want us to display your business card? Email it to us here.
The FDMC Foundation exists to keep old boys aware of their old school and give them the chance to stay connected.